Saturday, December 22, 2012

Making a Hydrangea and Rose bouquet

So, when I did my wedding flowers the idea of this little blog had not even popped into my head. I never took pictures of the step by step process of how I made my bouquets. Lucky for me, my awesome friend Kellsie allowed me to do her wedding flowers and I made sure to get step by step pictures of making her bouquet with hydrangea and roses, and her bridesmaids bouquets with roses and italian ruskus. Both of these bouquets are so easy to make it seems silly to pay a florist hundreds or even thousands of dollars to make them! Get your girls together and have them all pitch in and help make your wedding flower dreams come true! Making these bouquets takes two people. One person to build the bouquet and then one person to help tie it off.

Our bucket of Eskimo White Roses.
A bucket of white Hydrangea from Whole Foods.

Step One

Step One
I wanted this bouquet to be bold and solid white, so I started by cutting all of the leaves off of the Hydrangea. Make sure you always use special flower cutting scissors or pruners that are made for working with flowers. Some hydrangea flowers are very full and round, others are more oval shaped or more loose. When making a mixed bouquet with flowers other then Hydrangea make sure you use the looser of the flowers so you can easily mix the Roses in with the large Hydrangea flowers.

Step Two
 Start with your base flower, one with a very strong stem. I used a Hydrangea for mine, added some roses around it, then added another Hydrangea, then more roses to finish it off.

Step Three
 Don't be afraid to pull the Hydrangea apart and put Roses in the middle. You can even snip out parts of the Hydrangea to get more of a loose shape that is easier to work with then a dense round ball.

Step Four
Make sure you check how the bouquet looks from the side as well as the top. You want a nice round shape from the top and you want the flowers to be even all the way around. This picture had too much hanging down on one side so I just snipped some of the individual Hydrangea flowers out.

The top view of the bouquet, nice and round.
Step Five

 This is where your teammate comes in! Professional florists use wire or floral tape to make bouquets. I used transparent duct tape. Why you ask? Because it is easy to work with, it holds the flowers tightly, and it is cheap. Once you duct tape the flowers by the top and a few inches down you then cover the duct tape with satin ribbon and you can't even tell!

Almost finished.
Once you wrap the bouquet with ribbon, trim the ends of the flowers so they are all the same length and put it in a mason jar with just a little bit of water so it doesn't get the ribbon wet but the flowers can still drink.


Step Six
 Marry your best friend!! Kellsie was an awesome bride and she trusted me 110%! She even allowed me to make her bouquet a surprise that I gave to her when she was in her dress and ready to go! Being part of their day was so special and I will never forget it!

Thank you for reading!

Love, Anna








4 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought of becoming a wedding planner? You'd be so great at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many of each type of flower did you use for the bouquets? The bride's looked amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great article. Its most significant information base article. I thinks its terribly informative and useful for USA. i prefer this,because its ennobling American state. Thanks for your nice post.Beautiful photos of Wedding Flowers! i favor all of your useful suggestions Heather - it has been a protracted time since I did any wedding flowers, however I've saved you post just in case i am asked again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice tutorial for making flower bouquets. I am so pleased with this wonderful article. I am getting engaged soon and wanted to make DIY flower centerpieces for the bash. This tutorial will be very useful for me. Now please help me to hire one of best online Flower Delivery Service for bulk purchase!

    ReplyDelete