Friday, November 9, 2012

Rule #1: Know your resources!

Everyone who has gotten engaged knows how overwhelming it is to choose a baker, catering company, florist, photographer and musicians. (There are a lot more then just those but we can start there for today.) Before you make any big decisions try and think of the many talented people in your life that would love to help out with your big day.


Our Cake
Cake: Does a friend or family member always make delicious baked goods? Asking someone who loves baking to make a simple wedding cake could really make them feel like they are helping contribute to your wedding in a big way. I have received dozens of complements on my wedding cake that was made by a close family friend. It was a simple three tier cake with buttercream frosting and fresh flowers.

Food and Beverage: This is a HUGE one, I will have a more extensive post on this topic later. I saved a lot of money by having a dessert buffet and candy bar at the formal reception and was lucky enough to have my Father (an amazing chef) cook Italian food for our more casual dinner party later that night. 

My bouquet, that I carried all day and night because I was so proud that I made it!
Flowers: Doing your own flowers can be stressful, I had plenty of flower nightmares leading up to the wedding (literally). If you have a simple style and don't want something too intricate, then consider doing your own flowers to potentially save thousands. I will be posting several blogs about how to make pretty bouquets, centerpieces, aisle decor and where to find the supplies you will need to get there!

Photographer: Do you know an up and coming photographer? Most photographers who are still trying to build their wedding portfolio offer discounts for engagement shoots, bridal portraits, and even wedding day photography. I used a friend from high school who is in the process of becoming a full time photographer and I am beyond thrilled with her work! Her name is Kelsey Booth and she is amazing! 

Kelsey did this awesome shot while I was getting my makeup done! She rocks!

Music: My best advice on music is to ask a friend or friend of a friend who is talented at an instrument. Did you or a sibling take lessons when you were younger? Maybe the instructor is still around and would love to see you again and play at your wedding. Or even someone from the band at your church! Some great instruments that sound pretty on their own are violin, cello, piano, saxophone, or harp. This way you can just have one person playing versus an entire band. I personally had one violin playing for the ceremony (I was so nervous and had 70483243720984 things running through my mind I don't even remember what the ceremony music sounded like). I also had a pianist at the dessert reception which was good because I wanted to wrap up that party after about two hours and once the piano player stopped playing it was the sign that everyone needed to start making moves to the next part of the evening. 

Thanks for reading, more to come!

Love, Anna


No comments:

Post a Comment